Director of Service Engineering
LAUNCH Technical Workforce Solutions is seeking an Director of Service Engineering for an opportunity in Nagoya, Japan.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Job Description
Our client Customer Support Director of Service Engineering is responsible for providing in-service technical support to customer airlines, leasing companies and authorized MROs for the servicing, repair, and continued safe operations of MRJ aircraft. The Service Engineering team supporting the Fleet Management organization is the primary client interface to address all reliability and maintainability issues for the MRJ fleet. Additionally the Director of Service Engineering has prime responsibility for the client 24×7 Operations Center which provides Customers and MROs with round the clock technical support to resolve AOGs and address performance deterioration which may impact operations as detected through Aircraft Health Monitoring. Service Engineering will work closely with MITAC Design Engineering and Regulatory Authorities to resolve in-service issues and improve fleet performance through the coordination and authoring of Service Bulletins and 8110 Authorized Repairs. Responsibilities include establishing deliverable commitments, establishing work priorities, creating the team and team structure, implementing work processes and process standards, implementing governance and communication processes, and the technical performance of the group.
2. Scope of Work
- Implement the Service Request processes and tools required to receive technical questions from customers, and coordinate and approve a timely, quality response. Create an archive of technical issues and responses.
- Review every incoming technical request from each customer for its potential safety implication. Any potential safety issue will be coordinated with the MRJ Fleet Chief who will initiate the Lead Airline Process if required. The potential safety issue will be input into the 21-3 Continued Airworthiness Safety process.
- Answer technical questions (e.g. “How does this system work?”, “We want to do [X], what will be the impact and is this acceptable?”, “Please confirm our understanding of the [X] document that the [part description] for our aircraft serial number  is part number [xyz]”). Coordination with Design Engineering and Suppliers as necessary.
- Provide “fix” or “replace” recommendations based on cost and flow time.
- Provide structural repair instructions and regulatory approvals (i.e. JCAB, FAA, EASA) for the repair when appropriate (e.g., 8110-9).
- Participate in the Fleet Improvement Process (FIP) as directed by the MRJ Fleet Chief to identify solutions to chronic reliability performance issues and develop solutions for permanent fixes in both delivered and future production aircraft.
- Coordinate with client Design Engineering and client Suppliers as required to solve “in service problems”.
- Coordinate with client Engineering and Suppliers on design changes necessary to retrofit delivered aircraft and improve future production aircraft based upon service experience or potential airworthiness issues identified during fleet operations.
- With Design Engineering develop bill of material and work instruction content material for the accomplishment of Service Bulletins which is then provided to Service Bulletin technical writers for incorporation in forthcoming fleet Service Bulletins
- Support the Continued Airworthiness Process, Safety Review Process (SRP) and Flight Safety Review Board.
- Interact with Field Service and Operations Center (OPC) personnel to assist and address support issues or needs identified by either group.
- Support AOG and Field Repair teams with on-site engineering support during aircraft recovery operations as requested by the field repair team.
The primary deliverables of Service Engineering include:
- Completed Service Requests as entered in the MRJ Customer Portal in accordfance with established KPIs.
- Repair instructions and regulatory approvals for repairs not covered by existing approved MRJ repair manuals (SRM).
- Updates to the Fleet Improvement Team Digest based upon progress and status both Safety and Non-Safety SRP’s.
- Service Bulletin work instruction content material.
- Service Letters that provide important technical and maintenance information to the airlines. Note, a Service Letter does not authorize an airline to modify an airplane (it is not a regulatory approved document.
- Skilled employees that will form the Service Engineering team, staff the Operations Center, and staff the Field Service team.
The Central Service Engineering functions will be performed primarily in Komaki and an Operations Center that is staffed and directly interfaces with Service Engineering will be staffed 24/7/365 to support operations worldwide.
3. Expected Education/Experience and Skills:
Potential candidates must meet the following minimum requirements.
- Qualified candidates must hold an engineering degree from an accredited Engineering School.
- Candidates must have worked in commercial aerospace for an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM), and have 5 or more years in senior leadership positions providing Service Engineering functions to commercial airline customers.
- Candidates must have Regulatory (FAA/EASA/JCAB) coordination experience.
- Candidates must have skills and experience managing Suppliers.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
Why Choose LAUNCH?
A team of aviation staffing experts leads LAUNCH. We understand the challenges of finding the top aviation jobs and we focus on linking you with the best openings in the most sought-after locations.
LAUNCH offers you an ACA compliant benefit package including company-sponsored medical insurance with multiple plans to choose from. Our Minimum Essential Coverage is offered to every employee who does not have coverage elsewhere at no cost to you! LAUNCH also offers a 401(k) program with a company match. Plus, you join the LAUNCH Loyalty Club on your first day, earning you extra cash bonuses, apparel and safety rewards.