1st Shift Senior Project Engineer
Position Purpose: The Senior Project Engineer is accountable for the technical, cost, and schedule performance of new product development programs. Other responsibilities include ensuring customer expectations are met, project scope is accurately defined and protected, and skillsets are matched appropriately to programmatic tasks. This position is customer-facing and requires participation in project specific relationship building with customers, suppliers, individuals and organizations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Perform necessary tasks and coordinates all necessary activities inside or outside the engineering department; in order to meet cost, performance and schedule requirements for the assigned projects.
- Accountable for development and successful qualification of new product introductions.
- Leads cross-functional team members in establishing program plans with respect to cost and schedule.
- Identifies and implements process improvements within the organization.
- Employee’s primary duties require him/her to use discretion and independent judgment.
- Generates, presents and maintains design proposals with internal departments balancing manufacturing, cost, schedule, and bandwidth implications.
- Coordinate detail drawing modifications and the procurement of engineering hardware. Implements development and qualification test objectives, writes test procedures, and oversees the preparation of test units and the conduct of tests.
- Coordinates testing activities, writes test reports and prepares recommendations related to the test objectives.
- Supports Root Cause and Corrective Action (RCCA) activities associated with development or qualification problems.
- Accountable for accurate and timely reporting of program budget, schedule, and technical problems.
- Understands and applies risk management practices to development and production/field support programs.
- Manages customer requirements and effectively handles scope changes.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills including presentations internally and to customers.
- Ability to operate in a team environments and communicate effectively. Lead and direct work of technicians, support engineers and designers.
- Understand quality system standards of company.
- Familiarity and understanding of FEA tools, design validation and verifications tools and methodologies.
- Adequate knowledge of engineering systems; configuration management, gate review process and engineering change order requirements.
- Identifies priorities for department and ensures they are worked appropriately with little input from the engineering manager.
- Able to identify risk early in the assigned programs and develops mitigation plan.
- Understanding of materials, heat treatments, finishes, and the cost/schedule implications of each.
- Review and critique work performed by less senior members of the department.
- Shares experience in the form of lessons learned presentations to the department.
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s of Science degree in Electrical Engineering with at least five (5) years or relevant experience –or- Associate’s Degree in a math or science field with at least ten (10) years relevant experience.
- Working knowledge or qualification on Geometrical Dimensioning & Tolerance
- Experience with aerospace processes and methods (DO-160, MIL-STD-810, MIL-STD-31000, Y14.100) preferred.
- 3D Computer Aided Design (CAD) platforms such as Dassault Systems SolidWorks (required for Mechanical or Aerospace background, only)
- Microsoft Office (Excel, Project, and Word)
- FEA experience, Solidworks preferred (required for Mechanical or Aerospace background, only)
- Altium EDA, PSPICE experience (required for Electrical background, only)
The employee is expected to adhere to all company policies and procedures.