Avionics Crew Chief
LAUNCH Technical Workforce Solutions is seeking an Avionics Crew Chief for an opportunity in Des Moines, Iowa.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Provide world-class leadership, with the assistance of the management, to create a team atmosphere where members are challenged to maintain aircraft in the safest, highest quality, most efficient means possible, and to provide excellent customer service. Avionics Repair Crew Chief will manage all aspects of assigned aircraft projects including coordinating necessary resources, documentation, and communication with the appropriate personnel, including customers, to ensure timeliness and quality installations for delivery of these assigned aircraft projects. Inspect, service, repair and troubleshoot aircraft avionics components and systems in a safe and organized work area to meet manufacturer’s specifications and complete all required documentation per the FAA approved Quality Control and Repair Station Manual Procedures & Requirements. Interact positively with customers and company personnel to foster a company-wide environment of teamwork.
- Manage assigned Avionics Repair Technicians on all aspects of assigned aircraft projects to ensure safety, quality, and efficiency throughout all phases of the projects. Accept full ownership of assigned projects from pre-planning to delivery of aircraft projects by planning, prioritizing, and communicating with customers, company personnel, original equipment manufacturers, outside contractors and vendors. Ensure the safety and security of customers’ equipment, parts, and aircraft during all avionics installations phases.
- Manage projects by scheduling and assigning work for team members and monitoring day-to-day activities of team members for compliance and quality performance. Hold team members accountable to Elliott Aviation approved policies and procedures including aspects of professionalism, safety, and cleanliness of the work environment. Ensure the team’s consistent use, control and compliance to appropriate approved technical data and wiring diagrams from authorized engineering sources, FAA approved documentation and original equipment aircraft manufacturers’ maintenance & compliance documentation.
- Oversee, complete, and maintain accurate, and timely aircraft and project documentation. This documentation oversight will include reviewing preliminary reports to ensure accuracy of forecasting, billed labor hours, reviewing work orders and invoices, work order, discrepancy, and Pentagon documentation etc. to ensure timely and accurate entries, inventory allocation, appropriate sign-off language, and accurate charges for labor and outside services are applied prior to billing.
- Inspect, service, repair, and troubleshoot aircraft avionics and related systems utilizing the Elliott Aviation approved procedures, policies, and the appropriate Original Equipment Aircraft Manufacturers’ Maintenance Manuals. Perform Qualified Inspector (QI) and/or RII functions, as needed.
- Promote growth and development of assigned team members to promote team cohesiveness and trust by monitoring and evaluating team members’ performance in a professional, positive, accurate and timely manner. Oversee and ensure active participation of team members in the departmental mentoring program. Participate in personal and leadership development opportunities and always demonstrate leadership and professionalism.
- Support, maintain, and comply with all environmental, health and safety, federal, OSHA, state, and local regulations
Qualifications and requirements:
- Airframe & Power plant Certificate and/or FCC License preferred.
- FCC licensing and FAA Repairman Certificate
- Qualified Inspector designation – Eligibility for RII designation
- Production Inspector
- Ability to manage a team with both experienced technicians and mentor junior technicians with a calm demeanor.
- Organizational skills and mindfulness
- Initiative-taker, self sufficient
- Ability to maintain a safe and clean work environment
- Analyze and interpret professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations
- Author reports, business correspondence, or procedural manuals
- Effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, customers, and the public
- Must possess excellent mechanical aptitude and a desire to work
- Routinely lifts to 10 lbs., occasionally lifts to 50 lbs.
- Stands for long periods of time, with frequent bending, squatting, kneeling, and stooping
- Uses hands to reach and feel, with repetitive motion
- Good finger dexterity
- Reads, writes, speaks, and understands English fluently
- Visual acuity correctable to 20/20
- Works in confined spaces, extreme temperatures, heights above six feet, noisy environments and flying
- Works with and around products and materials associated with aircraft maintenance
- Must possess minimum tooling required to perform duties assigned
- Must be able to work various shifts, as assigned by management
- Man-lift qualified
- Occasional overnight and short notice travel
- Ability to attain & retain AOA badge or Airport requirements
- High school graduate or equivalency degree required. Associate or bachelor’s degree Preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of FARs 43, 91, 135, 145.
- Five Years Avionics installations and modifications related experience.
- Previous leadership and supervisory experience preferred.
- Basic Microsoft Office skills, including Word and Excel
- Must have reliable transportation to and from the job site.
- Must pass pre-employment drug screen and background check.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
Why Choose LAUNCH?
A team of aviation staffing experts leads LAUNCH. We understand the challenges of finding the top aviation jobs and we focus on linking you with the best openings in the most sought-after locations.
LAUNCH provides you with a real benefits package, including access to company-sponsored medical/dental insurance and a 401k program.
Plus, you join the LAUNCH Loyalty Club on your first day, earning you extra cash bonuses, apparel and safety rewards.
If you’re ready to LAUNCH your career, you’ve found an employer that can take you to new heights.