Fabrication Specialist / Composites
LAUNCH Technical Workforce Solutions is seeking Fabrication Specialists with aerospace composites experience for an opportunity at Ladson, South Carolina.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
The Fabrication Specialist performs machine set-up and fabrication tasks.
- Performs composite related fabrication of detail parts and subassemblies from carbon fiber, fiberglass and other light weight materials commonly use in the aerospace industry.
- Performs automated lay-up machine set-up and operation.
- Under limited supervision and working in a loud environment with a variety of epoxy agents, this position performs a variety of non-routine and non-repetitive procedures and assists in the fabrication, curing, build-up and assembly of various types of composite materials where required information is readily available, methods and sequences have been pre-determined.
- Works to blueprints, templates, sample parts, process sheets and other authorized information.
- Mark and cut tape, woven material, honeycomb, adhesive and similar materials following templates, guides or specific dimensions and sequences.
- Perform hot-bonding, wet lay-up preparation, and cures, using raw materials or pre-pregs, both glass and aramid fiber.
- Route, drill, trim, and sand to blueprint dimensions and tolerances.
- Will be required to build a vacuum bag to apply shop pressure to repair area.
- Assist in the lay-up of composite materials to molds.
- Fit and smooth successive layers of materials as necessary to secure build-up free from wrinkles, air pockets and voids following directions and instructions.
- Performs composite lay-up, fabrication and assembly tasks.
- Ability to understand the use and fabrication of pre-manufactured composite materials using, blueprints, engineering drawings and planning from non-conformance dispositions.
- Accomplishes these processes by using fabrication tooling materials and automated / motorized equipment.
- Accomplishes related functions to provide complete fabrication details and subassemblies via hand-lay-up methods or through the use of NC equipment.
- Will be required to work at heights and/or on an elevated work platform.
- Will be required to support ALL shifts, weekend support up to and not limited to 10-12 hour work days.
- Basic computer skills is a requirement.
- Ability to select correct parts, materials, tools, assemblies, standards, hardware, etc., in order to accomplish work statement in accordance with planned operations.
- Be capable and proficient in the use of production and engineering prints to determine exact locations. Report job constraints such as: errors caused by workmanship, defects in parts, materials, assembly procedures, tools, sequences, etc., in accordance with Boeing procedures.
- Prepares test articles, fixtures and data collection devices to perform various tests.
- Performs basic organic chemical conversion and paint preparation.
- Applies routine organic coatings for corrosion protection and appearance requirements.
- Works on articles of moderate complexity using established drawings and requirements.
- Ability to read and understand blueprints, drawings, schematics, engineering dispositions and instructions.
- Be safety conscious; employ the use of safety glasses, safety harnesses, respirators, boot socks, and other pertinent safety equipment 100% of the time.
- Exhibit exemplary housekeeping and Foreign Object Debris (FOD) standards.
- Maintain clean, neat, organized and FOD free work area.
- Possess understanding and knowledge of basic computer systems and programs.
- Coordinate pertinent information with employees on other shifts.
- Ability to work any shift (days, evenings and midnights), stand for long periods of time, and work in elevated and/or confined spaces as required.
- Frequent overhead work may be required. Frequent overtime may be required.
Qualifications and requirements:
- 1+ years of aircraft structural or composite fabrication experience.
Must be able but not limited to Drill close tolerance holes in composites, Tool indexing, Gap measurement.
Ability to read and understand blueprints, drawings, schematics, engineering dispositions and instructions.
Be safety conscious; employ the use of safety glasses, safety harnesses, respirators, boot socks, and other pertinent safety equipment 100% of the time.
Exhibit exemplary housekeeping and Foreign Object Debris (FOD) standards.
Maintain clean, neat, organized and FOD free work area.
Possess understanding and knowledge of basic computer systems and programs.
Ability to stand for long periods of time, and work in elevated and/or confined spaces as required.
Frequent overhead work may be required.
Frequent overtime may be required.
- Must be flexible and able to work independently.
- Must be willing to perform other functions and duties as assigned by managers and supervisors.
- Must be willing to work any shift.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Must have reliable transportation to and from the job site.
- Must pass pre-employment drug screen and background check.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
Why Choose LAUNCH?
A team of aviation staffing experts leads LAUNCH. We understand the challenges of finding the top aviation jobs and we focus on linking you with the best openings in the most sought-after locations.
LAUNCH provides you with a real benefits package, including access to company-sponsored medical/dental insurance and a 401k program with a company match. Plus, you join the LAUNCH Loyalty Club on your first day, earning you extra cash bonuses, apparel and safety rewards.
If you’re ready to LAUNCH your career, you’ve found an employer that can take you to new heights.