The Mechanic 1 performs preventive maintenance and makes minor repairs on equipment within the area of responsibility as needed in the safest and most effective way possible to avoid down time.
• Performs check-ins and minor repairs when equipment is returned to the shop.
• Assists other shop mechanics with loading and unloading of equipment as needed.
• Assists other equipment mechanics with electrical, hydraulic, and/or diesel engine repairs or maintenance of construction equipment as needed.
• Cleans, pressure washes and preps equipment for repairs.
• May primarily perform full service maintenance on small equipment, e.g., two-stroke engines, generators or diagnose simple mechanical problems on small electrics, e.g., circuit breakers.
• Maintain safe work environment and perform duties in accordance with safety standards
Education & Experience:
• 1 to 3 years of mechanic experience with diesel equipment and/or heavy construction equipment strongly preferred
• High school diploma or GED required, some trade school or equivalent training desired
• May need to provide mechanic’s tools of trade
• Excellent trouble-shooting skills
• Ability to prioritize work assignments
• Ability to work independently and be flexible regarding work assignments
• Ability to be flexible with changing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
• Must possess a high degree of safety-awareness
• Working knowledge of equipment design and safety requirements
Must be able to bend, squat, crouch and/or reach and lift up to 25 pounds or more, as required by the job. Some Sunbelt jobs may require driving for long periods of time, loading and unloading heavy equipment, performing work in extreme weather conditions including rain, wind or excessive temperatures and/or night and weekend work. All duties must be performed according to Sunbelt’s safety policies and guidelines. Reasonable accommodations may be made to comply with ADA/ADAAA.